Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Scrapbook Challenges: March Mood Board Challenge

This month's Mood Board Challenge will definitely have you in the mood for Spring. Upon seeing it, I felt the urge to look for some of my older, and as of yet, unscrapped Easter Photos. My sticking point was in choosing supplies to use with the mood board in mind. I have very few Easter themed kits and the ones I do have feature soft pastel colors. I was eager to step away from the pastel Easter Color story in favor of the bright happy colors of the mood board.

I had my photos chosen and I was now on a mission to find the right items. I don't like to hunt long. The first papers and embellishments that strike my fancy are always the right candidates for the job. This time though, I was striking out. I took a break and started working on breaking down older kits. I have a few of the JBS Mercantile kits from my time with them and until recently, I was loathe to break them apart. I always had the thought in the back of my mind that I would come back to the kit and use up the scraps. The problem is that new kits become old kits. Then they lose that fresh excitement you feel when you first receive them. I have been learning that breaking down old kits and rekitting the supplies makes them feel fresh again. As I worked on the kits, I came across one in particular that had just the right colors to work with the mood board.


Cute Kid Bad Photos by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper: Studio Calico, Basic Grey. My Mind's Eye, Pebbles; Letters: Sassafrass, Jillibean Soup; Jewel, Wood Veneer: Studio Calico; Stickers: Freckled Fawn, Twine and Ink, My Mind's Eye, Jillibean Soup; Metal, Cork: Freckled Fawn; Flowers: Sassafrass;Glitter Glue: Stickles; Other: tags; Based on a sketch from the Get It Scrapped Membership






The kit had a summer feel to it. I chose to use just a few scraps of the leftover papers. Each strip of paper is placed strategically under the photos so that they look intact. Cork was featured on the mood board. It does have a warm, welcoming feel but I felt that using it in large amounts would make the layout lose the light breezy tone. I chose a patterned paper with cork polka dots as the canvas and added a few cork stickers to the page. Spring motifs such as the flowers and butterfly reinforce the theme of the page. I did make sure to include a bunny to remind myself that this is an Easter layout.

I paid close attention to the texture in the title. Cute Kid is a bright shiny yellow enhanced with glossy accents. I outlined the green letters roughly with a black sharpie. I then used Stickles to add the glitter, allowing portions of the rough black pen work to show through. It's sparkly but yet has a gruff, distressed feel which adds to the idea that these were less then perfect photos of my son. I had taken him to an Easter party, but he refused to smile for any of the photos I took of him with the Easter decorations on the front porch.

Mood boards are so much more than just colors and photos to inspire you. Start with the colors as a jumping off point, but pay attention to patterns. motifs and textures within the photos. Which ones jump out at you? It may be subtle but can become a big influence in your supply choices. If you create a layout with the Scrapbook Challenges March mood Board, be sure to link up your project!

Supply Options
Some items originally from Studio Calico and Freckled Fawn kits.



View blog post for supplies







1 comment:

  1. Totally love the title -- I feel like I could use that on at least 50% of my pages! :)
    The diamond with the bunny cut out is a super cute embellishment.

    ReplyDelete