Sunday, March 8, 2015

CalvinBall 2015: Week One Update


This post may seem a bit confusing if you aren't familiar with Calvinball. It's a game we are playing over at Get It Scrapped. Head over to this post to get acquainted with the game.

I guess you could say I am starting off a bit light on the Calvinball points this year. The leaderboard has been hopping with many players posting quick stats and coming quite strong out of the gate. I may not be the winner, but I am pretty confident that I will break my point total for last year, at the least. Who knows? I could maybe come from behind and at least end up in the running. I have a few layouts I have yet to post, but will be adding in the points when I do. I am kind of weird like that. I could post the points now as the layouts are finished. However, I get confused keeping up with the points tally unless I can actually see what I posted in the Calvinball gallery.

My strategy for Calvinball this year was to save as many DT projects as I could to create during the Calvinball challenge. Many of these will be posting here and to the main MSE page throughout the month. I also intend to participate in as many challenges as I can. It's all about making those pages and challenges provide an easy stepping stone from which to start. One of the first challenges I chose for this month is the the Paper Issues Saturday  Sketch Challenge. It posted yesterday and seeing as how I had some time on my hands, I busted out the remnants of a few kits and whipped up this next layout.

A Boy, a Dog and a Box by Christy Strickler |Supplies Cardstock: Bazzill; Patterned Paper: Cocoa Daisy;Letters: Evalicious, American Crafts; Metal Clip: Freckled Fawn; Woode Veneer: Cocoa Daisy, PinkFresh Studio; Stickers: Evalicious, Punch: Ek Success: Ink: Ranger; Rub-Ons: Crate Paper; Die Cuts: KaiserCraft; Stamp: October Afternoon; Tape: K and Company, Bella Blvd., Heidi Swapp; based on the Saturday Sketch from Paper Issues



The original sketch called for a very structured grid. Many of the photos I had were different sizes. So I opted to make my grid a bit crazy with photos and embellishments breaking many of the grid lines. It creates a diagonal flow across the page lending to the fun of the story. Some of the heart elements came from the Cocoa Daisy Day in the Life kits. I am trying to use more pocket page cards on layouts which means allowing myself the freedom to cut cards apart. Otherwise, I have a tendency to hoard them in card form.

Though one week has passed, you can still join in and play Calvinball with us. The rules are always changing which means the lead can end up belong to anyone...even a new comer.

Supply Options

Some Supplies used came from subscription kits available while supplies last:
Cocoa Daisy
PinkFresh Studio- read my review on their kits
Freckled Fawn- read my review of their kits

Also consider Paper Issues as a source for Scrapbook Supplies. They have fast shipping and good customer service. ( I am not an affiliate but I do enjoy shopping there.)


View blog post for supplies



 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to save up challenges for Calvinball -- I think that's an extra point, right?
    LOVE this page.. the stitched grid and eclectic feel is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete