Monday, March 9, 2015

A look Back at Layouts with Large Photos

Large photos are something I have been playing around with from time to time. Sometimes, the page works well for me. Since I am talking about large photos today on MSE, I thought I would share a quick round up which looks back at some of my pages which utilize larger photos.

This is one my my very first pages using an 8.5 x 11 photo.The layouts was created around August of 2012. I kept embellishing to a minimum both due to the size of the photo and the busy background. I placed small embellishment clusters and the title in blank areas within the photo.












My second large photo layout. I created this page for an article from Get It Scrapped about using 3 photos on a page. Contrary to the advice I gave in today's MSE article, I chose a grainy photo for my background. In many ways, the photo has been used as though it's a sheet of patterned paper with photos and journaling placed on top. I made sure to keep the photo's subject visible and only placed the title, embellishment clusters, photos and journaling in the expanses of white space.







I created this layout for LOAD215. The waterspout was a bit lost in a smaller size photo. Large was the only way to go.
















Most of the layouts I shared featured an 8.5 x 11 photo. This one features a 5x7 picture as the focal point. I am sharing tips about how I integrate large photos into pages and my thoughts about moving away from using just 4x6 prints on my layouts today on MSE.













Using large photos takes a little practice but is an excellent way to step out of your personal creative box. I am still not always comfortable with using bigger photos, but as with anything, the best way to learn is by doing.

Additional Resources
















1 comment:

  1. Love seeing all of these big photo layouts together -- very inspiring! I love the way you use a large photo almost as a background, and add layering and other photos on top. Makes a very rich-looking layout!

    ReplyDelete