Wednesday, December 24, 2014

A Last Minute Holiday Sign


I haven't dedicated a lot of time to holiday crafting this year. At least, not until my son finished this year's homeschool term. Now that I have a bit of free time, I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to use up some holiday supplies. I have seen so many cute projects featuring burlap and since I had a sheet in my JBS Mercantile Artisan kit, I figured I would start with that as my foundation. I chose to work with one of my Deflecto acrylic frames. They are essentially ready made decor just waiting to be embellished.



The burlap sheet is made by American Crafts. It has a cardstock base already attached. This is an advantage. It saves the step of having to line the burlap so that the frame doesn't show through. It also keeps the burlap stiff which makes it easier to work with. There is no odd stretching or shifting of the cloth. I did add a little adhesive to the center before laying it on top of the frame. This makes it easier to create even folds on both sides of the frame.



Since the burlap sheet is a bit stiff, I folded the sides back and forth a few times before adhering it to the frame. 



I also found it necessary to cut a small slit on each side of the frame base. The slit makes it easier to fold and adhere the burlap. I went ahead and wrapped the base of the acrylic frame with the burlap. I didn't want to worry about hiding a cut line and I also didn't want the sign to sit unevenly.



I used hot glue to adhere the burlap to the frame. Now, it's simply a matter of decorating the sign.

Holiday Sign by Christy Strickler |Supplies Burlap: American Crafts; Die cuts: Crate Paper, Elle's Studio. Flowers: Prima; Button: Jillibean Soup; Clip: Crate Paper; Plastic Animal: Maya Road; Stencil, Glitter: Tim Holtz; Texture Paste: Weni Vecchi; German Foil: JBS Mercantile; Other: Doily, Ribbon; Frame: Deflecto 

After adding a little texture paste with a stencil, I sprinkled the wet paste with glitter. You can't see it here, but it does have a nice, subtle sparkle.I used bits and pieces from My JBS Mercantile kits( 2013 and 2014) along with a few things from my stash to complete the sign.. I began working on it late last night and finished it this morning. Not bad for last minute crafting!

I am hoping to have more time to craft over the coming days as my son enjoys playing with his presents and seeing his friends. I hope you enjoy your holiday and get a little crafting in too. Happy Holidays!

Supply Options












No comments:

Post a Comment