Thursday, October 30, 2014

Get It Scrapped: Stand Out Products

There are scrapbooking products out there that are just plain cool. Sometimes they are big and bold. They capture your eye and make their way into your supplies. Then what? It's not always easy to use some of those stand out products. The simplest thing is often just to covet them and leave them in your stash. The better choice is to challenge yourself to work with them. Recently, I was called to do just that for Get It Scrapped.

I love wood veneer.Usually, I use it as small accent pieces on my layouts. However, I had come into possession of a die cut wood veneer sheet measuring 12x12 in size. I had some ideas, but the sheet was so large and seemed to call for a special treatment. Therefore it sat in my stash for a few months unused. I knew I needed to use it or my love of it wood wane. So I pulled it out and came up with a way to work it into a layout.

K and Boo by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper: Studio Calico; Letters: American Crafts; Die Cuts, Flair, Acrylic,Stickers: Basic Grey; Wood Veneer: Crate Paper, Studio Calico, Basic Grey; Stickers: Crate Paper; Enamel Dots: Twine and Ink; Other: Sequins












The obvious choice would be to use the 12x12 die cut wood veneer as a layer over patterned paper. The paper needed to have a pattern that was discernible through the die cut portions of the wood veneer. I chose this numbered patterned paper to go along with the twenty four seven die cut. I liked that it contrasted subtly with the wood. I felt the wood veneer sheet would get lost within the layers despite it's large size. I used large wood veneer circles along with smaller wood bits to bring the wood layers into the upper dimensions of the layout. I used small wood hearts to reinforce the heart shapes in the large wood veneer piece.

Large eye catching products like this wood veneer sheet are unique but sometimes difficult to use. While you want that product to be a large part of the design, you also want it to work with all of the elements in your layout.Add smaller products that reinforce the texture, color, or shapes of those stand out products and use them to add repetition that supports the stand out product.


Additional Resources












The Get It Scrapped Membership
Click here to view more details




















No comments:

Post a Comment