Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Get It Scrapped: The Six Word Memoir

Looking back through my photos, I find that some have taken on more significance than when I first took them. They don't need to be perfect. They just seem to capture those little moments that mean so much more, especially now, given that they highlight a lost loved one.

Papaw by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper: October Afternoon, We R. Memory Keepers; Letters; Jenni Bowlin; Stickers; Twine and Ink; Flair, Label: Studio Calico; Flowers, Prima, Maya Road, other; based on a sketch from the Get It Scrapped Membership











Take this photo, for example. My son's face is highlighted by the flash and his expression isn't anything unique. Then, looking to the back of the shot, there sits my grandfather looking upon his great grandson with amazement. That's the part of this photo that means so much to me.

It's been hard to document the photos of my grandfather in the years since I lost him. Every now and then, I capture a little something as I did here. You could say the photo is heavy with emotion and in some cases it would be hard to convey everything I wanted to say. Using the idea of the six word memoir made it a bit easier. A lot could be said and it occupies just a little space. "Retired Business man. Loving Great Grandfather." It's enough for now. A step towards ensuring he is part of our memories.


Additional Resources











Sketches and templates available as part of the Get It Scrapped Membership
Click here to view more details



No comments:

Post a Comment