Friday, July 25, 2014

Get It Scrapped: Inspired by Kim Watson

Is scraplifting ok? I say yes. It's a powerful tool that can help you learn more about your own process by examining how another scrapbooker does things on her layout. It's always important to give credit where credit is due. However, you need to consider the type of scraplifting you are choosing to try.

Scraplifting can mean a variety of things. It can mean you directly copy a layout almost exactly as it was made by the original designer. It can also mean you take a lesson from a piece of that layout. This lesson can be in the form of color, the way motif is used, how designs are incorporated into a layout or how the designer has layered product. Recently, I channeled some ideas inspired by Kim Watson to create a scrapbook layout.

Adventures in Puerto Rico by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper; Fancy Pants, My Mind’s Eye; Letters: Jillibean Soup; German Foil: Jenni Bowlin; Other: DMC floss, glass beads; appears in an article for Get It Scrapped













As I looked over Kim's layouts, I was really struck with the way she used color. Kim seems to choose a specific set of colors which she then layers into her layout in different hues and patterns. My layout doesn't specifically copy one of Kim's, but it does pull in the idea of layering color. I pulled out a JBS Mercantile kit from last year. Using the kit made it easy to stick with the idea of layering colors and patterns. I was using scraps from the kit, so I allowed what I had left to direct the design of my page.

You don't need to look at just one layout at a time to scraplift a concept. I looked at a gallery of Kim Watson's work and looked for consistent use of technique, color and pattern. I took away just a small piece of Kim's process. I can always look back and make observations which will lead to me trying other concepts. What will you take away? Take a look at Kim's layouts, make a page inspired by her work and share it with us in the Get It Scrapped Gallery.

Supply Options



No comments:

Post a Comment