Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Tales of a Craft Class Junkie: Stamping with Paint

This year, one of my goals is to use supplies I have on hand more often. My stamp collection being the main focus of that particular goal. I have been better about using my acrylic stamps more frequently. However, my foam stamps( which are nearly a decade old) have sat neglected. In fact, I forgot I even owned them until Michelle mentioned she was making a project featuring foam stamps. She's good at coming up with projects that remind me about neglected supplies. Would I be making a project too? Sure! Why not!

Once I remembered I had them,I knew where the box of foam stamps were stowed. It required a step ladder and a bit of stretching on my part to wrangle it down from the shelf. After dusting the box off, I began examining the contents. I bought most of the foam stamps almost a decade ago. Many are from a dollar store while a few were found when I was thrifting. Some had never been used.

Click here for more information about this class.
I wasn't sure how I wanted to use the stamps, only that I wanted a technique that was not obvious. As luck would have it, I spied a class specifically about foam stamping on Nathalie Kalbach's website. Though Nathalie's website showcases a lot of mixed media, her techniques can easily be translated into scrapbooking. Foam Stamplifier covers the basics and beyond. I found it very inspiring and now have a desire to create my own stamps and to work them into my layouts more frequently.

The class consisted of small chunks which made it easy for me to complete. I didn't have all of the supplies on hand, but I now have an idea of which techniques I may want to stock supplies for.


The technique I chose for my layout involved stamping into wet paint. It creates a sort of debossed image. The result is very subtle but packs a punch when the layout is viewed in person. I didn't want to waste paint, so I stamped it off around the edges of the cardstock.









Winter Where are You? by Christy Strickler |Supplies Cardstock: Colorbok; Stickers, Patterned Paper, Letters: Echo Park; Twine Jillibean Soup; Brads, Flair, Jewels: Freckled Fawn; Paint: Silks Acrylic Glaze; Other: foam stamps; this layout appears in an article for Get It Scrapped





It's been unseasonably warm here in the islands. Here we are entering January and still having to use our AC. I felt that the snowflake stamps and themed winter paper would be a nice addition to this particular weather story. I crossed out winter words and added my own warm weather words to the sticker phrases. The deep red and black paper also help add a touch of heat back to this winter theme layout.



I am looking forward to using more of my supplies this year. I am also hoping Michelle has a few more ideas for me. I have added her new Mixed Media class series to our homeschool curriculum this term. Creating art alongside my son is a wonderful way for us to spend time together and gives us an educational, but well needed break from the regular routine of math and language arts.

Supply Options
from Simon Says Stamp










Additional Resources

1 comment: