Thursday, January 30, 2014

Get It Scrapped: Haiku and Journaling

We all want to tell the story. We want it to have impact. We want to take a walk back through the memories just as much as we want the viewer to understand what we are trying to tell them. I have taken a few journaling classes here or there. All of them good. All of them inspire me to come back in and tell the story. To write a lot. To design my layout around the written story. Then I created a layout with a haiku and it turned that concept around a bit.

First, I had to refresh myself on what composes a haiku. It's been a long time since I taught that language arts class in our homeschool curriculum.I don't think teaching about it had as much impact upon me as creating a scrapbook layout based upon one. I wanted it to be about nature.I wanted it to pertain to a season, to have kigo. I chose of photo of my son down by the pond on a rainy summer day.

Cool Summer Rain by Christy Strickler |Supplies Patterned Paper: Jillibean Soup, Letters: Sassafrass; Wood Veneer, Metal Charms: ArtChix Studios; Flowers, Buttons, Jewels: Webster’s Pages; Frame: mold by Plaid; Rub-Ons: Maya Road: Mist: Ranger; Coloring Medium: Gelatos by Faber Castell: Other: Hot Glue, Doily, Vellum; appears in an article for Get It Scrapped










I jotted down notes. Remembering sounds, sights and smells. Remembering the fresh glow of the plants, of how everything felt so wonderful and new again. In moments like these, time slows. The air is heavy with quiet joy. It's a golden moment and I did my best to capture it in the haiku.

Cool Summer Rain insistently tapping his umbrella in still moments



After writing and rewriting it a few times, the words "cool Summer rain" stood out. They became my title. My supply choices were guided by the haiku and the photo. Clocks representing the flow of time. Cool colors to remind me of the rain. Wood and flowers to represent the pond. Gold to represent how I feel about this particular moment.This layout became one of my favorites. It tells the story so much better than just my thoughts alone could have done. Since then, I have experimented with using less words  with more impact.

  This month, Doris issued a  challenge for writing six word memoirs. Yet another wonderful way to write less while adding more meaning. Though I haven't participated with the challenge on the forums, I have tried to personally challenge myself and have used less writing on some of my yet to be published layouts. Maybe you will spy some.

Will you challenge yourself to do the same? Try writing a haiku or a 6 word memoir. If you do, we'd love to see it in the Get It Scrapped Forum or gallery.

Supply Options
from Simon Says Stamp


from Amazon.com



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Love how you interpreted the haiku on your layout Christy!! The wood grain, touches of blue and gold are perfect!

    ReplyDelete