Monday, March 11, 2013

Snow Men in the Islands?

I have always lived in a warm climate. I have had the opportunity to see snow only a few times in my life. The same is true for my son. Seasons do change where we live, though the differences are subtle. Sometimes, to make things feel wintry and festive, you have to get a little creative. This year that was especially true for us. We had an unseasonably warm winter. In fact, we had to use the AC a lot. To make things feel a little more wintry, we decided to build a snowman.

No, he was not made from snow. Rather, he was a  Pizza snowman. He was as fun to eat as he was to make. He also gave me an excuse to create a snow themed layout.

Snowman Pizza by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Colorbok; Chipboard: Maya Road; Mist: Ranger; Other: sequins, glass beads, satin, painter's tape, candy wrapper, UTEE; layout originally published in Scrapbook News and Review Magazine

The satin cloth pieces were cut from remnants. I like to peruse the remnants bin at my local fabric store for cool finds. White cloth allows you the option to dye it.  In this case, it was simply a matter of using spray mists to achieve the color I wanted. I used my machine to stitch random patterns on the material.



The chipboard snowflake was covered with scraps of a blue foil dove candy wrapper. To add luster and really seal it on, I added several coats of  UTEE. The photo really doesn't do it justice. It has a wonderful sparkle all it's own.

This is just a little piece of how we make a season truly our own. How do you make the seasons special for your family? Even little details like candle scents or flavored coffees can help you identify with the changing of the seasons. Spring is approaching, but for many people the obvious signs of the season aren't there. That doesn't mean you can't make the season your own. Find a little time to do something unique or special, not just for a holiday, but for the season itself. Trust me when I say that those little moments will live on in your child's memories every time the seasons change.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment