Sunday, March 31, 2013

Happy Easter

This post is coming on the tail end of a very relaxing day spent with my family. We colored eggs, ate and snacked, watched movies and hung out together. Just the three of us. Our holidays are a little more simple than some and quieter than other families. I admit I kind of like it that way.

I am just now making it to my scrap cave and I thought I would share the layout I made yesterday. As much as Easter is still the same for us, some things have surely changed. Most notable of late, is how much my son has grown. My little boy no longer dives into the consumption of his chocolate bunny with wild abandon. Today, he ate his bunny slowly, savoring each bit and commenting on the good chocolate that it was made from. He did crack me up with one quick comment. " It my bunny! Mine. My bunny!"

I have been told that I have a knack for working with hard to use color combos. I am still wrapping my head around that. Maybe I am just used to my color combos so they don't seem hard to work with in my eyes. I do however, think today's layout was comprised of an unusually bright color palette that some might find hard to work with.

Chocolate Hands by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Coredinations;Letters: Fancy Pants; Digital papers and elements from Speckled Eggs-Brights by PeppermintCreative.com ; Flowers: Sizzix; Other: Cardboard, button, napkin; Sketch from Shimelle.com




This was my first time using a napkin on a layout. In retrospect, I should have adhered it with gel medium. As I stitched it down, it wrinkled a bit and I later realized that it was off kilter. Of course, you could argue that these errors add to the charm of the layout. One of the ways I have learned to scrapbook faster is to just embrace what happens. I altered the design a bit to compensate and I love the way the whole layout feels.

 I went hybrid which meant  I printed only small portions of the patterned paper and design elements. To add dimension, I emulated the smaller hybrid flowers by creating a few larger cardboard flowers. Layering a finishing touches such as machine stitching can keep a hybrid layout from feeling too flat.

I am still not sure about my using unusual color combos. I will be taking mental notes about my current and recent layouts. Observing yourself is a good way to get in touch with your process and how you use products. This leads to faster scrapbooking and always helps you direct your budget when you shop.

Regardless of whether you enjoyed a quiet day or a house filled with relatives, I hope you had a wonderful Easter. I would also like to wish my Jewish friends a Happy Belated Passover.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. I like the way the napkin is not straight - I think it really adds to the layout, which is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete