Saturday, March 23, 2013

Getting Back to Motivation

It's been several days since I have blogged. It's also been several days since I scrapped. Last week wasn't easy. Suffice it to say that family needed to come first. Now here I sit, trying to get back into my creative habit.  I am used to creating something almost every day. Being creative stimulates more creativity. When I don't create, I find that I create less and it's hard to get going.

How do you get yourself back on the creative track? It can be different for everyone. Sometimes, what works one time doesn't work the next. You just have to keep trying. Some things that often work for me are to look through photos. Some of them just get ideas flowing. It also helps to look at kits, photo galleries or challenge sites. Rearranging your supplies can stimulate your thought process too. You tend to run across older things you forgot you had.

 When your creativity is low, it can be a good time to look through past layouts. Keep notes of supplies, techniques, and even the number of photos you are using right now. Ask yourself if there is one cool thing you like to do. My one cool thing right now is repurposing supplies. I like to find things around the house to see how I can make them into trendy, fun looks for my layouts.

Wax Lips by Christy Strickler Supplies| Patterned Paper, Flowers: Sassafrass; Alphas: Sizzix; Brads: Artsylicious; Chipboard: American Crafts; Mist: Ranger: Stamp: JBS Mercantile; Ink: Tsukineko; Other: Faber Castell Gelatos, cat food can lid,cardboard, masking tap, crayons, DMC floss, star rhinestones


I have really been recycling more and more items since last year. Knowing this means I can go through some items to see what sparks my interest. If I am not motivated to do a whole layout, then I can start with just making some embellishments. Usually one small thing leads to another bigger thing and before you know it, I have a whole layout in mind.

Creativity can be like a tsunami. It might start off as a small ripple. With a little time, it will grow. You can keep the stream of creative thought flowing by making sure you create, if even just for a few minutes,everyday. If your creative energy ebbs, it's ok. It will come back. Just give it time and try smaller creative projects until it does. Take the opportunity to make small changes to your creative space or to observe your creative process.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Hope things settle down over the next week for your family Christy! Love this fun page you created! Lots of great things to look at and I LOVE how you used the soda tab!!

    ReplyDelete