Thursday, February 28, 2013

Finding your " Go To" Embellishing Approach

It took me a while to learn how much was enough and what I was really comfortable with. In fact, the awareness of how I embellish really wasn't as strong six months ago as it is now. I thought I knew. I even thought I knew my style. Looking back, I was still learning. I still am now. I have evolved and I am evolving still. What I do know is that I have found my embellishing comfort zone.



What is that comfort zone? It's the place where I know when enough embellishing is just enough. I have placed things I like in a manner that visually pleases me( and hopefully others). I like my layout. Sometimes, I just totally LOVE my layout. This means I can scrap a whole lot faster and with confidence.

Rare Moments by Christy Strickler Supplies| Cardstock: Bazzil; Patterned Paper, Stickers,Alphas, Buttons: Basic Grey; Brads: October Afternoon; Flower,velvet leaves, paper bag


How do you find the comfort zone? Well, you have to examine what you like to use and how you use it. You also have to practice. Practice, simply put, is making layouts. For a long time, I wanted to really learn how to layer papers and embellishments. Many people I knew or admired had these beautiful layouts dressed to the nines. I had to observe them, try things out on my layouts, and then observe my own process. Over time I realized that I had a love for the visual triangle.Odd numbers, most especially threes, frequented my layouts. I learned how I liked to tuck items and stack them. I knew what types of embellishments I liked to use.My layouts were somewhere between simple and packed full of embellies. I came to know where and when to stop.

I can't tell you where your comfort zone is. I do know you can find it by observing your own process. Take notes if you need to. Look at what you use and how you use it.Do you prefer flower or die cuts? What colors do you like? Are there a lot of certain textures that you prefer? Examine the layouts you love and ask yourself why you love them.

 With a little time and patience, you will find that sweet spot in which you know the layout is done. Knowing what you like to use and how you use it will help you direct your scrapbooking budget. I do caution you that finding that comfort zone is not the end of your personal scrapbook evolution. It is simply a part of it, but knowing more about your process will free you to learn new things in other areas.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Love your layers on this Christy and I think the embellishing is perfect! The flower attracts your eye to the photo and adds some great texture!

    ReplyDelete