Wednesday, January 2, 2013

One Shelf at a Time: a Re-examination

Last year, I introduced a segment to the blog called One Shelf at a Time. It was my hope that I could create a more organized craft space in small increments. I would focus on one specific area, then move onward and work on another. The plan had merit, but it failed.

The reason why it failed is that I lacked follow through. I tend to get distracted. I would start organizing an area, find something cool that I forgot I had, and then, like a little kid, I would run off to play. Part of my distraction problem dealt with time. My day is often spent homeschooling and doing some housework. I etch out small bits of time here and there to create. By the end of the day, I don't want to organize or clean some more. I just want to play. The temptation is too great.

What resulted over the course of time was a large creative mess. I admit that I normally create in a state of organized chaos. I usually have projects drying, materials stacked and waiting to be used, and a layout in progress. This organized chaos turned into clutter. My cats helped to spread the mess around.Before I knew it, it was out of hand and getting less fun to create in my craft space.

Over holiday break, I have begun to dig myself out from under the avalanche. The mess is still there but more controlled. I am re-implementing the one shelf at a time scenario. However, this time, I have come up with some ground rules:

1. I must use scraps right away or toss them.
2. I must use items to be recycled within 2-3 days or toss them.
3. I must put away my toys after I use them. No more leaving stuff out on the desk.
4. I must reorganize one shelf per week.

So here we are on my first shelf. Last week, I reorganized my stamp storage. For a long time, I have been storing it by manufacturer. This made perfect sense to me since I am on several design teams. I need to know who made what. The problem is, I don't think about what manufacturer I want to use when I need a stamp. I think about images or themes. My next step took a lot of guts for me...

I cut apart the stamp sets and stored them inside CD envelopes and cases. I can then write the manufacturers name on the case or envelope. The CD cases I have are thin and not all of the stamps fit neatly inside them. That's why I also have the envelopes. Small stamps are contained and less likely to be lost.













I then used cardboard from shipping boxes to create dividers. I placed the stamps by theme or category inside a plastic drawer. I used categories such as: backgrounds, journal spots, animals, holidays, etc. There was a  little space left over. I stuck a plastic tupperware dish in it and placed my versamark pens and a few other stamps supplies.






It's now very easy for me to find a stamp that  I need. Over the next month or so, I will test drive this solution to see if it fits my storage needs. If it works out, then I will invest in nicer looking dividers or make my own.

For tips on how to  test drive a storage solution, check out my article today on the Scrapbook News and Review blog.

My next shelf will be my letters and alphabet storage. Stay tuned!


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment