Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One Shelf at a Time: The Glitter Experiment

There was a time when we all bought a lot of glitter. Then, stickles arrived on the scene and they were so much easier to use than loose glitter. My little baggies and vials of loose glitter fell to the bottom of the drawer. For awhile now, I have had the intent to use them more often. Glitter is making a kind of comeback. Plus, it would be nice to use up some of my stash.

After perusing Pinterest, I came to the conclusion that I wanted pretty little crystal like salt and pepper shakers to store my loose glitter in. Alas, several months of searching thrift stores and dollar bins has not been successful. I decided to move to plan B. This meant I would try any clear container that I could find.

What I did find isn't pretty. It's a very functional, clear glass kind of cheap shaker. It does have some positive attributes though. I can shut the lid...something that the pretty shaker option does not have. It would seem lately, that I have a lot of kitty curiosity where my supplies are concerned. The spare room doesn't have a door, which means a kitty proof spill option such as this jar may just be a good thing. On the right, you see my current method of glitter storage. This glitter came in a plastic vial which broke, thankfully, inside the shipping bag. Breaking into this mess has been so very unappealing that I have never even attempted to use the glitter within.

The glitter has since been transferred to the new jars. Again, it's more functional than it is pretty. The jars are a lot larger than I really need for the small packets of glitter that I have. However, I believe it's going to be more usable now. I can officially start my glitter experiment.Only time will tell if I use the glitter more or if it remains unused.

If you are unsure about using a salt shaker to store your loose glitter, I recommend a similar experiment for you. Invest in only one or two shakers to start with. If you like the results, you can always buy more. Try the shakers for a month at the least. This will give you an idea if this is the right storage method for you.



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment