Saturday, December 29, 2012

Supply Savvy: The Patchwork Trend

Being part of the Get it Scrapped Team has really made me more aware of trends. When someone says trend, it usually conjures images of new things. However, you don't have to go out and buy something new to be trendy, especially in the case of papercrafting.

One of my recent creative team assignments had me working with patchwork prints. I could have gone out and bought some new supplies. Instead, after observing the Get It Scrapped Pinterest board, I realized I could use papers from my older stash. I chose some scraps of plaid papers and mimicked the designs I saw.


Comfort by Christy Strickler Supplies| Patterned Paper: K and Company; Alphas,Button,Ribbon: Basic Grey; Flowers, Sheer Cat: Maya Road: Other: kraft cardstock, pearls, doily; For Get It Scrapped




Everything that was used to make this layout is at least 6 months old. The patterned paper has been in my supplies for so long that I can't remember how old it is. I think I have had it for over 5 years.

 Have you ever heard the phrase " everything old is new again?" Trends sometimes flow in cycles. Look through your older supplies and see how you can update them. Use inspiration like current trendy images to help you keep a fresh look. Pay attention to how patterns and colors are used in your inspiration images. It also helps to choose trends to fit the story you want to tell. The patchwork works for me here. It reminds me of a quilt which conjures images of comfort and snuggly warmth. The patchwork supports the story of my kitten finding comfort as he snuggles up to a stuffed animal.

Just because it's a trend doesn't mean you have to buy a whole new set of supplies. Shop your stash before you purchase. You will have the satisfaction of using older supplies while creating with them in a new way.

Need more inspiration? Check out my Patchwork pretties Pinterest board. Consider googling patchwork images and make a patchwork inspiration board of your own!



Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments:

  1. Great take on this trend, Christy!! And I love how you took on the challenge...without feeling like you had to buy new product! The patchwork you created goes along perfectly with your photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet photo! The patchwork background is just perfect for it!

    ReplyDelete