Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Packaging Inspiration

Packaging can be used like a sketch. It shows you where the main elements should be placed and where to add supporting embellishments. It can also guide you in your choice of color palette. When I created this next layout, I chose to follow the packaging almost perfectly. My son  had finally decided to try peanut butter and chocolate together. It was an event that was literally twelve years in the making.


When I see packaging, I have learned to dissect it into sections that I can use on a layout. Of note here, the purple and the black divide the package in half. The main focus is the pumpkin. I can move the title to the rectangular section which is a window to the candy inside. The embellishments include a house, bats, a sign and a pumpkin. I can add the moon or a circular shaped element behind the focal point.






Reese’s Peanut Butter Pumpkins by Christy Strickler| Supplies: Patterned Paper: Pink Paislee, Sassafrass; Trim: Webster’s Pages; Stickers: K and Company;Markers: Ranger, Bic Mark-it’s; Other: stencil,patterned paper, kraft cardstock
Shared with Layout Linky Love at the PurpleMailbox.com






As you can see, I followed the colors on the package. I used kraft to tone them down a bit. It also reminds me of chocolate. I substituted my journaling in place of the sign. My embellishment are similar to the images on the package. You could easily change the color palette and substitute embellishments for another theme.  I hand lettered my title and used markers to mimic the packaging. 



Think about packaging like it's a sketch. Look for the focal point and place your main photo there. Then place your embellishments and title around it, just as the packaging does. When you use ads or packaging in this manner, you will have a nicely designed layout. After all, advertising companies pay big bucks to have their packaging designed in a visually eye catching manner.



Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Great use of the package inspiration Christy!! Love those fun bats, too!

    ReplyDelete