Saturday, September 29, 2012

One Story, Four Different Photos

I don't really track how many photos I use. I print photos based on the stories I want to tell. Sometimes I have a single photo while other times I have many. There are times when I want to tell a story but the photos that tell it best really are not cohesive. The layout I am sharing today was one such case. The challenge becomes finding a way to make four distinctly different photos tell one story.

As a family, we take frequent walks around the island we live on. The inner part of the island is very different from the edges. We walk past the pond and wooded area in the center to reach the beach. On any given day, we may see ducks or hermit crabs. One never knows. I could have chosen to document each section of the island on it's own layout, however, I really wanted to show how our view changes as we travel around the neighborhood.


Island Walk by Christy Strickler | Supplies Patterned Paper: Sassafrass, My Mind’s Eye; Alphas: Pink Paislee; Other: Seashells, kraft paper, DMC floss, denim

I had four photos, each of a different size. I chose to arrange them diagonally from one another. I divided my page into thirds. The top third representing the pond and wooded section of the island. The bottom two- thirds would house my title and the photos of our beach walk.

I chose patterned papers in the color of the sunset. We often walk during the evening, so this subtle cue reminds me of the time frame. I used shells we find along our walks as an embellishment. The yellow paper has a floral pattern which represents the wooded area around the pond. The pink paper with the scallops remind me of waves. The page has enough elements that the viewer would know what is happening in my story. At the same time, there are many subtle cues which make the page more personal for me.

It was a challenge to find the write way to arrange the different photos. At the end, I found the method that best tells the story and the photos feel a little more cohesive, though all of the are different.

For more ideas to document your stories, check out these articles from Get It Scrapped:

No comments:

Post a Comment