Saturday, August 20, 2011

To See My World Before My Eyes

   This was one of those incredible photos that just begged to be scrapped in a special way. It captured my son as he beheld the beauty of the mountains around him, something that a kid raised at sea level could really be amazed by. I feel very lucky that I got this shot. I would like to say it was intentional. However, it's one of those pictures that are discovered and coveted, hidden like a treasure amidst the photos on the camera's memory card.
  So now, with this awesome photo in hand, came the job of figuring out just how to scrap it. I wanted it to stand out from others in my album. While I love the myriad assortment of winter themed papers and embellishments in my stash, they did not quite capture the spirit of the photo. This then, leaves me with an argument I find myself facing all too often lately...why buy such themed papers? I guess I will address that later. After all, I rarely let go of anything in my stash. I was drawn to it, and so, I eventually find a use for everything. Anyway, back to the photo...
  I have long been drawn to winter themed paper kits with unusual colour palettes. Sadly, I have none in my current supplies. Given a colour challenge at Club CK to use orange, brown and pink, I chose to reach for my Crate Paper Pink Plum collection. I figured that I could use my Martha Stewart snowflake punch as a way to theme the papers as needed. I also had some word art in mind for the page. The only problem...it was yellow and orange. The yellow completely clashed with everything else I wanted to use.
Original Marcella K chipboard word art before I altered it.

In the past, I would have sighed and put the word art away. I would have kept it for another day when I found the right paper to go with it.Now that I have figured out there are no rules with my stash, I grabbed some pink paint and a detail brush. Three coats later, the word art is looking more like it belongs with the papers I chose. The paint was a little dull and the orange was lost in the pink. So I used a woodsy brown bic mark it to edge the letters and then covered the whole thing in a coat of glossy accents.
  The page itself took form quickly thanks to the kit and a Sassy lil Sketch. Inspiration from Scrappin to the Music's challenge #178 shaped the title. I ended up with a page I loved. One with a variety of texture and tone which perfectly match the story I wanted to tell.
Sassy Lil Sketch 8-16-11
Crate paper pink plum collection-papers, brad, die cut and sticker
Making memories ribbon and trims
Martha Stewart snowflake punch
colorbox chestnut roan ink
American crafts rub on alphas
Acrylic paint-baby pink
clossy accents
Marcella K chipboard title

The warm, vibrant colours match my son's snow suit as well as conveying a bright happiness. The texture of the trims remind me of my son bundled into the snow suit. Snow flake embellishments remind me that we were in the snowy mountains. Best of all, despite the pink in the colour palette, I don't find the page to be feminine. I love when I get to use pink on a boy page!

6 comments:

  1. Wow Christy!! The technique you used on your title is awesome and you would never know that you altered it!! Love your take on the sketch!! Thanks for playing along at SLS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you altered your title, it looks perfect! Your snowflakes are just right, and there is nothing wrong with a bit of pink on a boys page, I agree!!

    Thanks for playing along with us at Sassy Lil' Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really beautiful colors! I love how challenges can help bring things together for scrapping those beautiful photos! Just love this! Thanks for playing Scrapping the Music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty !! great take on the sketch ! :o)

    Thanks for playing with us at Sassy Lil` Sketches ! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great lines and color combo! I like how your composition allows the photo to take front and center stage, 'cause isn't that what scrapbooking is all about, the photos?! thanks for participating at Scrapping the Music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love your page and the open space you kept in the background!!! thanks sooo much for playing along at Sassy Lil Sketches!!!

    ReplyDelete