Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Rainbow Connection

    Sometimes a song will just spin around and around in your head. For whatever reason, Kermit the frog singing " the rainbow Connection" popped into my skull every time I looked at these photos of my son with the food colouring. We were conducting an experiment for school. It really had nothing to do with colour. The experiment focused more on the properties of water and it's movement. The colour just facilitated our ability to see the movement of the water through the tubes. The idea was to produce a syphon effect and to get the water flowing between each container. The colours would mix and you would have this sort of rainbow between the curved tubes and the bowls. The photo in the lab manual was spectacular looking. Our experiment, well...less spectacular. We did get it to work though not as intensely as the lab manual suggested it would be. What we did have was another moment of mom and son sharing their love of science...a connection if you will. So that's where the title really took shape...the song, the rainbow of colours we used, and the connection between myself and my son. I guess you could say that Kermit was singing inside my head for a reason.
   I chose to use one of Scraphappy.org's 15 minute page idea for this. As usual, it took me longer than 15 minutes to complete it. It was more like 20-30. None-the-less, I find 15 minute page sketches quite satisfying and an overall sound way to get fast, but cool pages that I love. Initially, I had only wanted to use the Sassafrass paper, Cosmo cricket ribbon and various chipboard parts for the title. My son took one look at the page and said something to the effect of, " I know you taught me about white space, but that page is just too white. Add some more colour to it." So, taking his advice, I splattered a lot of glimmer mist all over the page. It produced some very happy non-white white space which seemed to please him quite a bit.
Sassafrass paper
Cosmo Criket ribbon
SEI inke blue ink(on paper edges0
glimmer mist- tiger lily, sapphire, meadow green and candy apple red
bread tage with Nerdy bird fussy cut rainbow dude from sassafrass
Inkadinkadoo bracket stamp in green paint with marker
Sassafrass chipboard alphas(rainbow)
American crafts minimarks rub on alphas on crate paper chipboard cloud
Maya Road william chipnpard ( connection)
Bic mark it in playful purple

  Page two was easy to produce. I simply extended the design over to the second page on the left. It truly was a 15 minute page...well, sort of. The journalling made it take longer than 15 minutes, but who is really counting, right? Overall, it's a simple two pager with a lot of pop. I am happy with the results and am now off to try for another quick page before my son wakes up for the day.

2 comments:

  1. I love the rainbow of color splatter! And thank you, I now have that song stuck in my head ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the moments that you captured in your page!... And in less than 30 minutes? That's awesome! Love it! :) So glad you joined us for the Embellish Color Trends Challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete