Thursday, May 26, 2011

Gingerbread Houses in May

  I'm not up to date on all of my latest photos. Then again, what Scrapper is? Part of my problem is more than likely due to my need to take a gazillion photos of every family event that occurs. This is one problem, however, that I refuse to curb. I love all of the wonderful photos of my family. I often wonder if my son will not let me take as many pictures of him when he's a teen as he does now. Either way, here I am in the month of May scrapping Christmas photos.
  Every year we make a gingerbread something or other. Some years, it has been a gingerbread Christmas tree made from star shaped cookies. Other years, we have attempted to make a gingerbread house( despite the fact that I am the only soul in the house who will eat gingerbread!). Despite the wonderful house cookie cutter shapes we have, the house always ends in ruins. It just won't hold together. So this past year, I chose to go a simpler route...the pre-made gingerbread house kit.
   At first, I almost opted to make yet another standard Christmas page. After all, I have a HUGE collection of holiday papers in my stash. Something else came to mind though. I have this Echo Park paper with little house on it. It matched wonderfully with the Pink Paislee striped candy looking paper I had. Kraft paper simulated a gingerbread base while white Acrylic paint played the role of icing. I fussy cut some candy pieces from an unkown paper then topped them with glossy accents. This made them look more like a real piece of candy.
Punky Scraps Challenge 16 Sketch 5-13-11

   I wanted a fun title, so I chose to use a variety of alphabet stickers from Echo Park and Pink Paislee. Embellishments such as the chipboard key from Crate Paper and the Echo park house sticker made interesting substitutions for words in the title. Faux stitching and Making Memories chipboard pieces embellished with stickles completed the page.
Scrap lift for May Flaum's " May with May" BPS class

  I chose to journal as a set of directions versus just telling the story. It added a fun twist and with the page elements I chose, these pages stand out as just a little bit different from the usual holiday pages I create.

1 comment: