Saturday, September 11, 2010

make your own ruffle trim

   Ruffled trims have become a big trend in the scrapbooking world. I have always thought they were a pretty touch. Notice I said pretty. Well, that's because many of them have a feminine look. So I never chose to add any to my stash. So, when I saw a tutorial over at Ella to make your own trim, I was very excited. What a wonderful way to make the trim fit my boy themed pages.

  My page centers around my son eating a lollipop. During Bahamas Independence day, it's a wonderful tradition to head over to Mortimer's candy shop for some of their home made confections. My son looks forward to it every year. The lollipop is made in the colors of the Bahamas' flag. I had found this wonderful ribbon which also had these colors. So I chose that in place of felt for my ribbon border. The border was very easy and quick to make. I am in no way a great seamstress, but found that it didn't matter with this. Your stitches don't show and it's haphazard feel adds a fun tone to your page.

The sketch comes from Scrapfit's workout #27. I chose to try a reverse mask with paint and to extend the circle design onto the 2nd page. I always have the desire to use paint on a page. However, I often am stumped by it's look when I am finished. It never quite has the effect I am going for. In this case, I liked the look of the circles, but did not like the flat, matte finish.I hand stitched the circles. I looked at adding trims. I tried several other things, but finally decided upon using glossy accents over the paint. I embedded buttons in the circle as well, using them tone on tone for a dimensional effect. The results reminded me of hard candy, which seemed perfect given that the LO centered around a lollipop.

For some added interest, I added some scraps of cheesecloth which I stapled to the page, then smeared with paint. I used some scrapworks alphadots and Echo park stickers for the title.

BTW, if you have an interesting international dish or food to share, there is a scrap challenge to submit it to over at Sketches for you during the month of September. Don't forget, the sketch-a-thon has started there as well. It's not too late to get into the fun. The submissions are not due until 9-30-10. So head on over there for a chance at some great prizes.

5 comments:

  1. fabulous layout...LOVE that you made it a twopager...too cute :)
    Thanks for playin' along with us at ScrapFit!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers!! Great double page layout!! Thanks for joining in on the fun at ScrapFIT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful layout! Love all the extra treatments to the circles! Thank you for playing along at ScrapFit!

    -Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super CUTE!!! Thanks for workingout with us at scrapFIT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your layout!!! Very Cute:) By the way...you won my surprise RAK....check out the details and email me!!

    http://mouseyface.blogspot.com/2010/09/drum-roll-please.html

    ReplyDelete